Xpra: Ticket #1375: User should be notified when a file is uploaded from the server
When a file is uploaded from the server to the client application, there is only a notification in the client logs. This is not sufficient and could lead to a security issue in case of the server is compromised. The client host could be flooded silently.
The user should be:
1/ Asked to accept the upload
2/ Notified through system-tray or popup
Thanks and regards,
Wed, 07 Dec 2016 15:16:35 GMT - ERIC GRAMMATICO:
2/ Notified through system-tray or popup when upload done.
Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:46:21 GMT - Antoine Martin: status changed; milestone set
changed from new to assigned
set to 2.2
Tue, 24 Oct 2017 16:07:19 GMT - Antoine Martin: milestone changed
changed from 2.2 to 3.0
Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:08:55 GMT - Antoine Martin:
Sun, 26 Nov 2017 13:04:14 GMT - Antoine Martin: milestone changed
changed from 3.0 to 2.3
Sun, 24 Dec 2017 10:00:06 GMT - Antoine Martin:
Client-side GUI for accepting "print", "file-transfers" or "open file" requests has been added in r17740.
The new default for "file-transfers" and "open-files" options is "auto", which will prompt GUI users.
- usual py3k fixes..
- #1726: enable "open-on-client" by default? add "open-url"?
- improve the dialog: add details about the file (size, mimetype?) and a countdown timer since the other end will eventually give up (and we know how long we have), maybe support multiple uploads in the same dialog? (in a table view)
- we could also add a new "open-on-server" option so that the user can choose where the link / file is opened, telling the server to fallback to the regular xdg-open
- maybe: support "ask" on the server side? At the moment, the server can only be set to on or off, not sure it makes sense to popup a dialog since this would go to the user that requested the upload in the first place..
- the notification part is best dealt with in #1492
- maybe offer the option to override "open-with"
Tue, 26 Dec 2017 18:43:15 GMT - Antoine Martin: owner, status changed
changed from Antoine Martin to ERIC GRAMMATICO
changed from assigned to new
This should be enough for this release.
Still TODO / possible improvements:
/usr/bin/xdg-open - meh
- could add option to "download-only" for files that are sent to be opened (would need a new message to the server to toggle the open flag to false, and update our cached verification copy too - meh)
- the same dialog could be used to show file-transfers in progress (update progress percentage with each chunk received) - and maybe show this dialog automatically for uploads / downloads that take more than a couple of seconds
- we should honour the bandwidth-limit in chunked transfers
- could skip the download if we find an existing file with the same name and same checksum
Beta builds with this feature can be found here: https://xpra.org/beta/
@ERIC GRAMMATICO: does that work for you?
Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:11:58 GMT - Antoine Martin: owner changed
changed from ERIC GRAMMATICO to J. Max Mena
Not heard back, so:
@maxmylyn: mostly a FYI, feel free to close.
Thu, 22 Mar 2018 19:33:04 GMT - J. Max Mena: status changed; resolution set
changed from new to closed
set to fixed
Noted and closing.
Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:22:31 GMT - migration script:
this ticket has been moved to: https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/1375