xpra icon
Bug tracker and wiki

Opened 6 years ago

Closed 5 years ago

#454 closed enhancement (wontfix)

daala encoding

Reported by: Antoine Martin Owned by: Antoine Martin
Priority: minor Milestone: future
Component: core Version:
Keywords: Cc:

Description

http://xiph.org/daala/

Should not be too hard to implement.

Attachments (9)

daala-stub.patch (12.6 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
stub support for daala
daala-v3.patch (40.6 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
work in progress patch
daala-v4.patch (52.4 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
nearly there - as in, it no longer crashes all the time
daala-v6.patch (55.4 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
latest daala patch: encoding seems to work, decoding does not
daala-example-player.diff (3.8 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
patch to the daala example player to log every ogg/daala call
xterm-via-daala.png (276.3 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
shows the result of encoding an xterm session using daala
xterm-daala.ogg (574.1 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
stream recorded on the server showing an xterm
daala-xpra-test.output (1.3 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
output from the daala xpra test
daala-example-player.output (1.8 KB) - added by Antoine Martin 5 years ago.
output from the daala example player

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (11)

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-stub.patch added

stub support for daala

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-v3.patch added

work in progress patch

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-v4.patch added

nearly there - as in, it no longer crashes all the time

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-v6.patch added

latest daala patch: encoding seems to work, decoding does not

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-example-player.diff added

patch to the daala example player to log every ogg/daala call

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: xterm-via-daala.png added

shows the result of encoding an xterm session using daala

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: xterm-daala.ogg added

stream recorded on the server showing an xterm

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

With v6, we can encode using daala, and to make it easier to debug we can also record the output stream to a file (which should be generalized) as well as sending it to the client using:

XPRA_DAALA_SAVE_STREAM=basefilename XPRA_DAALA_DEBUG=1 xpra start --start-child=xterm :10

Then if I view the stream saved by the server using daala's example player I see:
shows the result of encoding an xterm session using daala

So it looks like daala may have some serious encoding problems!


Unfortunately, the decoding side (client) does not work... despite doing exactly the same calls, in exactly the same order as the example daala client. This can be verified by applying the daala-example-player.diff patch to the player and running the daala xpra test with the ogg stream we have recorded:

;XPRA_DAALA_DEBUG=1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib64  PYTHONPATH=. ./tests/xpra/codecs/test_daala.py xterm-daala.ogg

(for the record, everything also builds fine on OSX after installing check.sf.net)

Last edited 5 years ago by Antoine Martin (previous) (diff)

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-xpra-test.output added

output from the daala xpra test

Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Attachment: daala-example-player.output added

output from the daala example player

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by Antoine Martin

Resolution: wontfix
Status: newclosed

I've asked on the mailing list and got no reply, although the daala source tree does see some updates, if the mailing list is any sign... this project does not care and neither should we.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.