Xpra: Ticket #1262: Unexpanded tilde in Xorg log filename

I recently upgraded from Debian jessie to stretch, and started having problems with xpra (version 1.0-20160715r13017).

I have managed to solve the problem by adding a line to /etc/xpra/xpra.conf:

xvfb=Xorg -dpi 96 -noreset -nolisten tcp +extension GLX +extension RANDR +extension RENDER -auth $XAUTHORITY -logfile ${HOME}/.xpra/Xorg.${DISPLAY}.log -configdir ${HOME}/.xpra/xorg.conf.d -config /etc/xpra/xorg.conf

Where I changed the (only) tilde in the default command to ${HOME}: i.e. -logfile ~/.xpra/Xorg.${DISPLAY}.log to -logfile ${HOME}/.xpra/Xorg.${DISPLAY}.log.

Without this change strace shows Xorg attempting to literally open ~/.xpra/Xorg.:nn.log, which fails. I was unable to track down where the tilde-expansion was previously happening, and as the other arguments already use ${HOME}, it seems a simple fix.

Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:06:01 GMT - Antoine Martin: priority, status, description changed

Thanks for the report.

That's odd, build_xpra_conf gets the value for xvfb_command from detect_xorg_setup which uses:

        log_dir = get_default_log_dir().replace("~/", "${HOME}/")

So the default config in the packages should have the correct value already.

I'll have to play with this in a Debian VM next week.

Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:52:21 GMT - Antoine Martin:

@dtaylor84: I've just tried on Jessie and couldn't see the problem, either with the package or with a source install.

Then on stretch, it's badly broken. Somehow the config files (there are many now: #1254) have no substitutions in them at all!?

Wed, 03 Aug 2016 08:55:39 GMT - Antoine Martin: owner, status changed

No idea how stretch gets confused like this, or why r13192 fixes it - but it does...

beta packages are available.

@dtaylor84: does that work for you? You may need to purge the previous config files. If you have the beta repo installed:

apt-get remove xpra && apt-get purge xpra && apt-get install xpra

Thu, 04 Aug 2016 18:31:11 GMT - dtaylor84: status changed; resolution set

Ah, somehow I missed the existence of /etc/xpra/conf.d/, the *.in files being there at least explains why things are going wrong.

I can't say I entirely understand how that results in this particular problem, or why it started happening in stretch, but I can confirm the current beta package is working correctly for me.

Thanks for the swift resolution!

Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:19:27 GMT - migration script:

this ticket has been moved to: https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/1262