Xpra: Ticket #1570: transparent windows
Transparency aka "alpha channel" tracker ticket.
Original tickets and important changesets:
- #77 tray icons
- #262 disappearing tooltips
- #279 32-bit visuals and transparent windows
- #280 Systray icon transparency broken
- #385 opengl transparency (and more)
- #487 webp artifacts with transparency
- #500 small tooltip windows have transparency issues
- #577 detect lack of transparency support and disable it to save bandwidth
- #892 transparency forwarding is broken
- #961 transparency support is broken with pixmap backing
- #1145 pixbuf backend does not support transparency with desktop scaling enabled
- #1682 transparency with the native opengl backend on win32
- #1794 transparency with the native opengl backend on macos
Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:35:41 GMT - Antoine Martin: status, description changed
changed from new to assigned
Fixes in r16262:
- skip compositing check with opengl backend on macos (though transparency still doesn't work..)
- enable transparency by default on macos as this seems to work with both cairo and pixmap backends
- remove override in pixmap backing, use the superclass default (ie: enabled on macos)
- add better error logging when initializing / enabling transparency, especially failures
This reverts an earlier changeset: r4934 "transparency does not work on OSX" - as it works with cairo and pixmap, the opengl case may be fixable.
If not, we should disable it in the backend - which will save some bandwidth.
Mon, 06 Nov 2017 09:00:02 GMT - Antoine Martin:
Hopefully this can be dealt with as part of #1569.
Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:16:04 GMT - Antoine Martin:
r17373 enables transparency with GTK3, which works for the cairo backend (with opengl=off).
For opengl, r17375 passes the flag to the glcontext class so it can choose an appropriate visual.
Unfortunately, despite using the https://stackoverflow.com/a/4055059), the window remains opaque on win32. See patch attached.
Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:16:30 GMT - Antoine Martin: attachment set
set to win32-opengl-alpha.patch
try to enable transparency with opengl
Sun, 12 Nov 2017 07:17:39 GMT - Antoine Martin:
r17385 uses non-opengl rendering if the window requires transparency, will follow up in #1682 for win32.
macos support is blocked by #1575
Wed, 28 Mar 2018 14:14:47 GMT - Antoine Martin: description changed
r18900 does the same as r17373 on macos: the cairo backend does handle transparency already just fine so let's use it, for opengl: #1794.
Mon, 08 Jul 2019 16:27:08 GMT - Antoine Martin: milestone changed
changed from 3.0 to 4.0
Sat, 21 Sep 2019 12:16:09 GMT - Antoine Martin: status changed; resolution set
changed from assigned to closed
set to fixed
Closing as this is now supported on all platforms, with all the backends, except for win32 + opengl: #1682
Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:27:59 GMT - migration script:
this ticket has been moved to: https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/1570